Daily Gospel Reflections May 15th 2020
Gospel JN 15:12-17
Jesus said to his disciples:
“This is my commandment: love one another as I love you.
No one has greater love than this,
to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
You are my friends if you do what I command you.
I no longer call you slaves,
because a slave does not know what his master is doing.
I have called you friends,
because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father.
It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you
and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain,
so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you.
This I command you: love one another.”
“This is my commandment: love one another as I love you.
No one has greater love than this,
to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
You are my friends if you do what I command you.
I no longer call you slaves,
because a slave does not know what his master is doing.
I have called you friends,
because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father.
It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you
and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain,
so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you.
This I command you: love one another.”
Dear Friends and
Family,
Today’s Gospel is a shorter version
of what we read yesterday. Because it’s such
rich material, let us consider what Jesus says before he calls us his
friends. “I no longer call you
slaves.” So that implies that at one
time we were slaves? He clarifies in the
rest of the quote, “a slave does not know what his master is doing.” Jesus teaches and sets a powerful example for
his apostles. As they journey with Jesus
they learn from him and begin to understand what God the Father is all
about. That wisdom, that understanding changes
their relationship from that of a slave to friend. This is great for the twelve apostles but
what does it mean for us?
We must always be studying and
growing in our faith and in our understanding of our God. It’s easy for us to get trapped in the
busyness of life and forget the one relationship that will save us. How many of us have become slaves to our
work, our entertainments, or our distractions?
In a moment of pandemic we see how these things that we structure our lives
around can be torn away from us. The
chains that bound us to our sports, our computers and even our jobs have been
broken. We may be wondering what we are
to do with our new freedoms. Our friend,
Jesus Christ is waiting for us in his Word.
We have a variety of online forums available to us to study God and our Catholic
faith. Consider returning to our roots, the
scripture itself and allow it to nurture our faith. Let us begin with the Gospels, not rushing
through them but allowing the Holy Spirit to open our hearts and our minds to his
love and mercy. Our world has changed in
the last few months and as a result we may understand his word anew.. Is there anything apparent in scripture now
because of our lived experience in this pandemic?. Every relationship takes time and effort; our
God, who sees what we are doing, is going to bless and grace our efforts and
open our eyes. Slaves look down and
blindly go where they are led. Friends
look into one another’s eyes and see the other for who they are, they share
their lives and are transformed. Jesus
looks upon us as a friend, will those that see us recognize Him?
No comments:
Post a Comment