Daily Gospel Reflection May 25th 2020
Gospel JN 16:29-33
The disciples said to
Jesus,
“Now you are talking plainly, and not in any figure of speech.
Now we realize that you know everything
and that you do not need to have anyone question you.
Because of this we believe that you came from God.”
Jesus answered them, “Do you believe now?
Behold, the hour is coming and has arrived
when each of you will be scattered to his own home
and you will leave me alone.
But I am not alone, because the Father is with me.
I have told you this so that you might have peace in me.
In the world you will have trouble,
but take courage, I have conquered the world.”
“Now you are talking plainly, and not in any figure of speech.
Now we realize that you know everything
and that you do not need to have anyone question you.
Because of this we believe that you came from God.”
Jesus answered them, “Do you believe now?
Behold, the hour is coming and has arrived
when each of you will be scattered to his own home
and you will leave me alone.
But I am not alone, because the Father is with me.
I have told you this so that you might have peace in me.
In the world you will have trouble,
but take courage, I have conquered the world.”
Dear Friends and Family,
“I am not
alone.” Jesus is comforting the disciples
before they even realize they are going to need his consolation. Have you ever disappointed someone you loved
or respected? Those moments linger with
you and can be the source of great pain and anguish over the course of a
lifetime. Jesus does not want his
disciples’ memory of him to be one of regret or disappointment. Jesus tells the disciples a truth that will
lift them up: “the Father is with me.”
Any good father will be able to tell you what that means.
A loving
father will do all that is in his power to look out for his own. If tragedy befalls a beloved son or daughter,
a good father will move mountains to solve the problem. I have run into trouble many times in my life
and it’s often the love of my father that helped me through it. When I was learning how to drive, my father not
only taught me but he also showed me some basic car maintenance skills. I remember one summer I was driving to Boy
Scout summer camp by myself. I was
driving my Dad’s truck down a paved country road when one of the tires blew
out. I didn’t think too much about it
because my Dad had taught me how to change a tire. So I pulled over, jacked it up, changed the
tire and was back on the road in no time.
Metaphorically, my father was with me.
He had shown me how to handle a problem like this and when that problem
came up I knew what to do. Jesus was
taught by his Father how to love and he knew that love would never leave
him.
“Take
courage, I have conquered the world.” Our God told us we will have trouble in the
world but we have nothing to fear. He taught
us how to love and it is that great sacrificial love that will get us though. If the metaphoric tire has blown on your
truck, pull over. Read the owner’s
manual. The jack for my Dad’s truck was mounted in the
engine compartment, just like the picture showed. We need to read the Bible on a regular basis
if we want to know how to live as a disciple.
Remember what your Father taught you.
Pray, lay your problems down before the Lord and ask for guidance and
direction. Then stop and listen for
God’s wisdom. Jack up your truck. Do what you can for yourself or for
others. If the problem is bigger than
you can handle, please ask for help and support from friends, family or your Church
community. Even Jesus needed help
carrying his cross to Calvary - remember Simeon? We all need help from time to time and your
need may give your neighbor a chance to be a blessing. Jesus was not alone and neither are we, no
matter what trouble we are facing. Soon
the tire will be replaced and we will be on our way because our Father is with
us and his presence brings us peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment