Daily Gospel Reflection May 8th 2020
Gospel JN 14:1-6
Jesus said to his disciples:
“Do not let your hearts be troubled.
You have faith in God; have faith also in me.
In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places.
If there were not,
would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?
And if I go and prepare a place for you,
I will come back again and take you to myself,
so that where I am you also may be.
Where I am going you know the way.”
Thomas said to him,
“Master, we do not know where you are going;
how can we know the way?”
Jesus said to him, “I am the way and the truth and the life.
No one comes to the Father except through me.”
“Do not let your hearts be troubled.
You have faith in God; have faith also in me.
In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places.
If there were not,
would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?
And if I go and prepare a place for you,
I will come back again and take you to myself,
so that where I am you also may be.
Where I am going you know the way.”
Thomas said to him,
“Master, we do not know where you are going;
how can we know the way?”
Jesus said to him, “I am the way and the truth and the life.
No one comes to the Father except through me.”
Dear Friends and Family,
There are a
couple of fascinating promises in today’s Gospel. Jesus says, “I am going to prepare a place
for you.” He is talking about our
heavenly home that he is going to get ready for us. “In my Father’s house there are many dwelling
places.” So, Jesus promises us that there is a place for each one of us. As of late I have started to watch a reality
show called Maine Cabin Masters. It’s a
show about a construction crew that goes into rundown cabins in Maine and fixes
them up for their owners. The transformations
that take place are amazing. Our lives
are like this. Jesus takes what we give him
and he transforms it, restores it, and makes it new again. As the owners return they are stunned by the
restoration and they celebrate their new place.
Isn’t that what Jesus is promising us at every Mass? We give him our simple gifts of bread and
wine, as well as the gifts of our lives and he transforms what we give into
something great, something to celebrate.
Then the
disciples state that they don’t know the way.
Jesus’ response comes in three parts; he is the way, the truth, and the
life. The way is what we are all longing
for in this time of pandemic. We want to
know what is next and nobody has a good answer. Jesus steps into our emotional and
psychological struggles and simply says, “I am the way.” We surrender our uncertainty to him. We follow Jesus to the home he is preparing
for us. We may be frustrated by all the
voices around us that tell us to worry, or they tell us not to worry. This lack
of trust or faith in the voices shackles us and we don’t know what to do. We
know they mean well but we long for the simple truth. Jesus steps into this chaos and says, “I am
the truth.” We will not be lead astray
by his Word and his word will always set us free and give a direction to follow. Then he shares the most comforting phrase, “I
am the life.” This pandemic has
threatened our lives and the lives of those we love. We have taken extraordinary steps to protect
ourselves and it may still not be enough.
Jesus steps into our uncertainty and gives us hope that come what may we
will find life in him, in this life and in the next. Today we claim these promises for ourselves
and accept the peace that comes with them.
No comments:
Post a Comment